On January 1, 2022, after ratification by the parliaments of the respective countries, the double taxation agreement signed between Brazil and Switzerland in May 2018 will enter into force. The Convention introduces limits to the tax jurisdiction of contracting countries, eliminating or minimizing the possibilities of double taxation of income and bringing greater security to business in general. In line with the commitments made within the scope of the G20 or the OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development), the new agreement incorporates the minimum standards of the Project on Tax Base Erosion and Profit Transfer (BEPS Project), as well as other recommendations relevant. A specific article on combating tax avoidance and abusive use of the agreement was also included.
In this webinar, we are going to present some news that this agreement brings both in the scope of taxation of companies and individuals operating in both countries.
– from 3:00 pm to 3:05 pm: opening with Flavio Silva, Vice President of SWISSCAM
– from 3:05 pm to 3:20 pm: “Introduction to the double taxation agreement and the role of the Swiss Embassy in Brazil”, with the Swiss Ambassador to Brazil, Mr Andrea Semadeni
– from 3:20 pm to 3:45 pm: “Convention between Brazil and Switzerland to Eliminate Double Taxation – Practical and Relevant Aspects”, with Cassio Sztokfisz, Partner at the associated firm Schneider, Pugliese, Sztokfisz, Figueiredo e Carvalho Sociedade de Advogados
– from 3:45 pm to 3:55 pm: Q&A
– from 3:55 pm to 4:00 pm: closing
To make the meeting more dynamic and promote networking among participants, audio and video will be enabled in this lecture.
Mr. Ambassador Andrea Semadeni
Graduated in Literature and Linguistics from the University of Geneva. In 2002, he assumed, at the UN (New York), the position of advisor focused on mission in Africa and the Middle East. He was ambassador to Côte d’Ivoire, Kenya, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Burundi, Djibouti, Benin, Togo, Ghana and Addis Ababa (Ethiopia and the African Union).
Master of Laws at the International Tax Program at New York University (NYU)
Partner of Schneider, Pugliese, Lawyers
Date: June 14, 2021
Time: from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm (Brazil)